FOOT CARE NURSE COURSE (PART 2)
Policies and Procedures Manual - Windsor, ON
The Foot Care Nurse (FCN) course is designed for nurses new to foot care and for experienced foot care nurses who wish to update their knowledge and skills. This course provides participants with the knowledge and skills necessary to function as a foot care nurse within a health care team. This comprehensive, advanced, and diabetic foot care program follows current Best Practice Guidelines and evidence-based practice.
Part 2 of the FCN course provides hands on learning opportunities for students to practice their foot care skills. This part of the FCN course is a mentorship and clinical program offered in a central location and facilitated by an on site Foot Care Nurse Educator.
Part 2 of the FCN course in Windsor is not administered by Foot Care Kingston, but is independently administered by Arlene's Healthy Heels, one of Foot Care Kingston's education partners. Tuition for Part 2 is not included in the tuition for Part 1.
- Applicants must have successfully completed Part 1 of the FCN course through Foot Care Kingston with a minimum grade of 75%.
- Applicants must start Part 2 within 12 months of graduating from Part 1. Exceptions to the 12 month rule may be allowed in extenuating circumstances. Applicants are to contact their Part 2 location of choice to discuss their unique circumstances and for more details.
- Each applicant must carry and show proof of at least $2 Million personal protective insurance (malpractice insurance).
- Each applicant must hold a current non-restricted Nursing Registration/License (temporary or full) from the territory or province in which they reside and will be taking their Part 2 FCN course.
- Each student must show proof of completion of the two Infection Prevention and Control (IPAC) free online courses (as per online workbook resources in FCN Part 1 – Assignment #6 – IPAC).
- The student is expected to have purchased the following textbook for Part 1 FCN course: Lazenby, Cindy. LM. (2017) Art & Science of Foot Care: A Clinical Resource for Nurses in Canada.
1. Feb 9-10, 16-7 & 23, 2018
2. May 4-5, 11-12 & 19, 2018
3. Oct 4-6 & 12-13, 2018
Arlene’s Healthy Heels is located at 400 Cabana Rd. East, Unit #3, Windsor, ON N9G 1A3.
Facility Profile Highlights
Centrally located in the Heart of Windsor. Well respected and well known to many physicians and clinics for providing excellent, safe, professional foot care.
We want to help foster links between foot care professionals and assist in the development of a robust and knowledgeable foot care community. Interested individuals are welcome to join us in this endeavour.
Provide accessible, up to date and sustainable foot care nurse training programs that recognize provincial and national guidelines and standards of nursing care.
Recognize that a dedicated, cooperative team of foot care nurse educators from across Canada can drive change through partnerships and by working together to inspire innovation in foot care nurse education.
Arlene Van Doorn R.N. has 13 years of foot care experience, Basic and Advanced, North American School of Podology Levels1-4, Foot Care Nurse Educator Program (Foot Care Kingston), 34 years of hospital experience including: Geriatrics, med-surg, orthopedics, emergency, and outpatient day surgery (at present).
When and how to register
It is the student's responsibility to connect with Arlene’s Healthy Heels during their first month of participating in Part 1. This allows the student an opportunity to discuss Part 2, review registration policies and provide their contact information. Part 2 courses run on a 'first come, first served basis' and also are based on minimum numbers of students per class. Calling ahead of scheduled Part 2 courses allows Arlene’s Healthy Heels to communicate with those who are interested and gives us time to prepare or advertise if necessary.
All students may register online by sending an email to: email@example.com. Tuition payments must be received before registration deadline dates.
Minimum and maximum participants requirements
A minimum of 4 students with a max of 8 students.
How much is tuition?
$1,582.00 ($1400 + $182.00 HST)
What is included in the tuition?
Tuition includes isolation gowns, safety glasses, gloves, and N95 masks. Light lunches will be provided on all days including coffee, tea and water.
What are the payment methods?
We accept: certified cheques, bank draft, VISA or MASTERCARD. (please make certified cheques or bank draft payable to: Arlene’s Healthy Heels & More Inc. Credit card information can be provided over the phone by calling Arlene’s Healthy Heels at 226-674-4335
There are NO refunds permitted but credits are allowed for future dates if student is unable to attend.
What students are to bring?
All students are responsible to dress in clean uniform daily as well as clean appropriate shoes.
All students are responsible to obtain transportation to and from clinic and arrive at least 10 minutes prior to class beginning. Students are also responsible for own food (after classes) and lodging.
Other expenses not included in the tuition/where and how to purchase
Students must purchase a medical grade rotary instrument. (DREMEL is not permitted)
How is student information protected?
All student information will be kept in locked filing cabinet at office or in lead Educator’s home.
What policies are in place to protect client information during clinical?
All clients sign a consent form for foot care prior to their visit and is renewed annually by Arlene's healthy heels.
Permission has been obtained in advance for all clients, which will be student models for hands on experience.
As professionals, all nurses are aware of patient confidentiality act and must not disclose any patient information outside of Arlene's Healthy Heels.
Students must wear clean uniforms, clean appropriate footwear.
- All patients records and or photos are property of Arlene’s Healthy Heels only.
- No cell phones will be permitted during class, only during breaks.
- Small facility with excellent intensive training
- Professional, positive and relaxed environment
- 13+ years of foot care experience