FOOT CARE NURSE COURSE (PART 2)
Policies and Procedures Manual - Windsor, ON
Last Revised: March 6, 2018
The curriculum for Part 2 was developed by Foot Care Kingston and is administered by Foot Care Kingston and our education partners in select locations across Ontario and British Columbia. Each location uses the same standardized peer-reviewed education guidelines and this FCN Part 2 Course Outline.
- This course is being offered over a period of of 5 days.
- Class time are scheduled as 8:00-17:00 for each day.
Upcoming course dates for Windsor FCN Part 2 are as follows:
- Option 1: February 1-2, 8-9 & 16, 2019
- Option 2: May 3-4, 9-10 & 11, 2019
- Option 3: October 17-19, 25-26, 2019
Students registering after the deadline will be added to a wait list. If accepted to the course, an additional fee of $150 + tax will be applicable.
Arlene’s Healthy Heels is located at 400 Cabana Rd. East, Unit #3, Windsor, ON N9G 1A3.
Facility Profile Highlights
Centrally located in the Heart of Windsor. Well respected and well known to many physicians and clinics for providing excellent, safe, professional foot care.
We want to help foster links between foot care professionals and assist in the development of a robust and knowledgeable foot care community. Interested individuals are welcome to join us in this endeavour.
Provide accessible, up to date and sustainable foot care nurse training programs that recognize provincial and national guidelines and standards of nursing care.
Recognize that a dedicated, cooperative team of foot care nurse educators from across Canada can drive change through partnerships and by working together to inspire innovation in foot care nurse education.
Arlene Van Doorn R.N. has 13 years of foot care experience, Basic and Advanced, North American School of Podology Levels1-4, Foot Care Nurse Educator Program (Foot Care Kingston), 34 years of hospital experience including: Geriatrics, med-surg, orthopedics, emergency, and outpatient day surgery (at present).
When and how to register
It is the student's responsibility to connect with Arlene’s Healthy Heels during their first month of participating in Part 1. This allows the student an opportunity to discuss Part 2, review registration policies and provide their contact information. Part 2 courses run on a 'first come, first served basis' and also are based on minimum numbers of students per class. Calling ahead of scheduled Part 2 courses allows Arlene’s Healthy Heels to communicate with those who are interested and gives us time to prepare or advertise if necessary.
All students may register online by sending an email to: email@example.com. Tuition payments must be received before registration deadline dates.
Minimum and maximum participants requirements
- Minimum 4 students
- Maximum 8 students
Possible flexibility on this criteria may be extended. A waitlist will be maintained for any nurse wishing to register after the program maximum has been reached. Nurses may need to choose another location or different dates to attend part 2 if the Windsor location cannot accommodate them on specific dates, such as if minimum number of nurses required to run the program are not reached or have exceeded their maximum number of students.
How much is tuition?
$2,147.00 ($1,900.00 + $247.00 HST)
What is included in tuition?
- Use of onsite PPE’s (isolation gowns, masks, eye protection, gloves, alcohol gel, disinfectant wipes, etc.)
- Light lunches will be provided on all days including coffee, tea and water.
- Use of onsite sterile instruments (nippers, blacks files, foot files, scalpels, burs)
- Use of miscellaneous health teaching supplies (moisturizers, padding, footwear & orthotic samples, foot models, mirror, etc.)
- Use of assessment tools (ABPI doppler, tuning fork, reflex hammer, monofilaments, goniometer, etc.)
- 43 hours of clinical + 3 hours of mentorship
- a certificate of completion on successfully meeting minimum requirements of the course
What are the payment methods?
We accept: certified cheques, bank draft, VISA or MASTERCARD. (please make certified cheques or bank draft payable to: Arlene’s Healthy Heels & More Inc. Credit card information can be provided over the phone by calling Arlene’s Healthy Heels at 226-674-4335
Expenses not included in the tuition
- See Supporting Documents, Instruments and Supplies section
- Costs for accommodation & travel to and from clinical and mentorship locations
- Parking (if any)
- Tuition for FCN Part 1
- Requests outside of normal course activities or outside of educational, technical, and administrative support schedules or activities as per the course outline (such as requests for remedial assignments, course transcripts, third party correspondence, letters, etc.).
There are NO refunds permitted but credits are allowed for future dates if student is unable to attend.
Should Healthy Heels by Arlene cancel the program due to low enrollment or any other unexpected reason, students will be informed that they will receive a full refund.
The items listed below are not included in the cost of tuition. Students will be expected to arrive on their first day of clinical with:
- A hard copy or electronic copy of at least $2 million personal protective insurance (malpractice insurance).
- Printed or online 'receipt' of showing current non-restricted Nursing Registration/License from the College of Nurses of Ontario.
- Hard copy government issued photo ID.
- Course Textbook - Lazenby, Cindy. LM. (2017) Art & Science of Foot Care: A Clinical Resource for Nurses in Canada
- A printed copy of the Canadian Association of Foot Care Nurses' National Competencies for Advanced Nursing Foot Care in Canada (2017)
- Equipment - Each nurse is to bring a 'podiatric rotary instrument' that is designed for use on human skin (not hardware or industrial brands), which can be purchase through Quality FootCare Products at a special discounted student rate of $540 (includes 3 diamond deb burrs, taxes and free shipping).
How is student information protected?
All student information will be kept in locked filing cabinet at office or in lead Educator’s home.
What policies are in place to protect client information during clinical?
All clients sign a consent form for foot care prior to their visit and is renewed annually by Arlene's healthy heels. Permission has been obtained in advance for all clients, which will be student models for hands on experience. As professionals, all nurses are aware of patient confidentiality act and must not disclose any patient information outside of Arlene's Healthy Heels.
All students are responsible to dress in clean uniform daily as well as clean appropriate shoes.
- All patients records and or photos are property of Arlene’s Healthy Heels only.
- No cell phones will be permitted during class, only during breaks.
- Small facility with excellent intensive training
- Professional, positive and relaxed environment
- 13+ years of foot care experience