Part 2 - Foot Care Nurse Course (Clinical)
Ontario and British Columbia
FCN Part 2 (Clinical) is the mentorship and clinical component of the FCN course where students practice their foot care nurse skills. The curriculum for Part 2 was developed by Foot Care Kingston and is administered by Foot Care Kingston in Kingston and Kitimat, and by select education partners across Ontario. Tuition for FCN Part 2 is not included in tuition for FCN Part 1. Each location uses the same standardized peer-reviewed education guidelines and course outline. Please review the FCN Part 2 Course Outline for further details including prerequisites, course exit competencies and information on how to register.
The following locations will host FCN Part 2 for the upcoming year:
New locations may be added to this list if sufficient requests are received from that community, and an experienced Educator is available from that area, or available to travel to that area.
Location: Kingston, ON
- FCN Part 2 - Oct 12-14, 17 & 24th, 2018 (early bird tuition deadline: July 13th, 2018 at 12am PST)
- FCN Clinical Refresher - Oct 17, 2018
Tuition: $1,695.00 tax incl.
Location: Thunder Bay, ON
Dates: June 4-8, 2018 (registration deadline April 6, 2018)
Tuition: $2,090.50 tax incl.
Location: Ottawa, ON
- Option 1 - Jan 12-14 & 19-21, 2018
- Option 2 - April 27-29 & May 4-6, 2018
- Option 3 - July 27-29 & Aug 3-5, 2018
Tuition: $1921.00 tax incl.
Location: Windsor, ON
- Option 1 - Feb 9-10 & Feb 16-17, 2018 (12 hour days/early bird tuition deadline: Jan 9th, 2018)
- Option 2 - May 4-5, 11-12 & 19, 2018 (early bird tuition deadline: April 6th, 2018)
- Option 3 - Oct 4-6 & 12-13, 2018 (early bird tuition deadline: July 6th, 2018)
Tuition: $1,582.00 tax incl.
Location: Kitimat, BC
Dates: May 29 - June 2, 2018 (registration deadline: March 1st, 2018 at 12am PST)
Tuition: May be covered for eligible nurses from Kitimat or Terrace BC. Each applicant will be informed of their individual status.
Equipment Purchase Requirements
Costs for the minimum set of equipment, instruments and supplies required to complete Part 2 of the FCN course can range from $0 to as high as $900.
Costs vary depending on location and access to foot care clinic resources. For example:
- $0: Some locations include these costs in tuition. Nurses are also sometimes able to borrow the required course supplies from their employer.
- Up to $600: If needing to purchase equipment, lower quality items, gently used items, &/or single-use items to meet minimum course requirements can be purchased at a lower cost.
- Up to $900: Depending on budget and student preference, higher quality equipment can also be purchased
Once registered for Part 2, your Part 2 Educator will provide you with a detailed list of equipment, instruments and supplies needed for the course at your location. Facilities that do not have access to an autoclave, will advise students to purchase single-use sterile instruments for the course. Your Part 2 Educator will also provide a list of suppliers from which to purchase instruments prior to the course, or may advise you that they provide pre-packaged kits for their students for purchase.
Options and costs of sterile instruments after you graduate:
- $8-10 each set per client: Some nurses choose to outsource dirty instruments for sterilization to a hospital or community agency when sterilization services to community health care providers are available.
- $8-10 each set per client: Some nurses purchase single-use sterile instrument packages in bulk and dispose of each set in a sharps container.
- $7-9,000+ initial costs: Alternatively, instruments may also be sterilized on site if an autoclave, incubator, ultrasonic cleaner, pouches, chemical and biological indicators are available and meet pre-cleaning, sterilization, and storage best practices, AND if there are trained staff available with a current certification in IPAC. In this case, extra sets of multi-use instruments must also be purchased.